Saturday around 3 am Isaac woke up and vomited all over our bed. We put him in the bath, washed him up, and snuggled on the couch for a little bit. He ended up throwing up once more before falling back to sleep. When he woke up he was acting totally fine. He insisted that dada and I get up right away so we could play. Throughout the day he seemed 100% normal. He ate fine, drank fine, played fine, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Around 3:30pm he started complaining about his stomach hurting. Then the diarrhea started. Red flag! So he asked to take a bath. We decided to call his surgeon and see if there was anything we should be watching for. You know that extra reassurance this was just a viral thing and it will pass as soon as it came on. By the time we hung up with the surgeon and got him out of the tub we could tell him upper abdomen was rock hard and he sort of had a lump on the upper left side. At this point I was really concerned. We called the surgeon back and he said to bring him in. Luckily, it was one of the surgeons who has treated Isaac before and we absolutely trust.
The ER doctor did an exam, we had an x-ray, and they started him on an IV. They also drew labs. One of the PA's from the surgical team came down to access Isaac herself. After reviewing the x-ray the surgeon came down. He said he was a little concerned. I hate hearing those words. But I kind of already knew that something was going on. He told us the x-ray was not good. He said it could be 1 of 3 things...
1. A large bowel obstruction (um what)
2. Enterocolitis (fabulous)
3. Colitis - like viral gastroenteritis
I was hoping it was number 3. Obviously. I knew that when I saw him that something was not good. Usually when surgery comes down it's like the oh sh@t factor. He told us he wanted to do his own exam and do an irrigation because that would tell him more about what this was. The irrigation went fine. He said he didn't feel any resistance while doing it which meant it was not an obstruction. Hallelujah. And since it wasn't explosive he was pretty sure it wasn't enterocolitis. Hallelujah x 2. He did want to admit us though for observation. And that would give them a chance to get the labs results back too. So we waited for our transport upstairs. Another hospital stay. The second one in less than 2 months.
We got up to our room around 9pm. I think. I can't even remember. The night was uneventful. He got to eat. We watched cartoons and played with some toys. The labs came back normal. His inflammation marker was not elevated which confirmed he did not have enterocolitis. That pretty much left only one option.. Viral illness. Which was the best news. The only news I was willing to accept.
They woke up early this AM. Around 6am. The nurse told us we needed to get him to x-ray because the surgeon would be in the OR all day and wouldn't be able to read the x-ray until after 4pm and if it had improved he wanted to get us home asap.
The x-ray had improved drastically. The issues from not even 12 hrs prior had resolved. The surgeon came by and just did one last exam. And said we could go home.
Just another bump in this long road.. But hopeful of better days. ♡